“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page” – Saint Augustine. For different individuals, travel has different meanings and for some travel is a way to enjoy and explore while for others sometimes travels are means to make ends meet. And for travel enthusiasts, 2020 has been a year to forget. The Covid19 pandemic outbreak which started in China at the later stages of 2019 completely took the center stages of the globe in 2020 with almost all the countries being affected. Following the global spread of the pandemic came travel restrictions and country-wide lockdowns which left most of us to sit in our homes and watch the story unfold about the pandemic. Global travel saw a massive decline in 2020 and the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) stated that just the first quarter of 2020 itself saw a 22 percent decline in the number of international tourist arrivals.
With the introduction of multiple vaccines, many believe that the worst phase of the pandemic is behind us and with many countries across the world gearing up for the post-pandemic world, travel fanatics are also hoping that 2021 will serve them better. One of the most popular travel destinations in the world is Europe and European countries have consistently attracted tourists from across the globe. So, now let’s take a look at five of the top countries to visit in Europe.
1. France: Stats till June 19th of last year shows that France is the most visited country in the world. France is not all just about the Eifel Tower and there are various aspects that make France a complete travel destination for tourists. So, let’s take a look at what makes France the top tourist destination in the world now.
- Paris or The City of Light is of course one of the most visited locations in the country and the stunning architecture coupled with rich history have made the city a popular stop for international tourists.
- Variety in Geography and the right combination of climate is yet another aspect that makes France the ideal travel destination for tourists. From sandy beaches to snow capped mountains, France has something for everyone.
- Natural beauty at its best is also a big plus for France and the opportunity to escape to the vast country sides also make the country a favorite getaway location for many.
- The French cuisine is popular across the globe and this coupled with the opportunity to taste authentic French pastry and wine makes France popular among food lovers too.
- To say that fashion is big in France is going to be an understatement and with many considering Paris as the fashion capital of the world, there is something for fashion fanatics in France too.
2. Spain: Moving from France, the sunny side of Spain offers something different and the country is quickly rising as one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. So, now let’s look at what Spain has to offer for international tourists.
- The fact that Spain has 47 UNESCO world heritage sites shows just how rich of a history the country has and the buildings and monuments in Spain is for everyone to behold.
- The diverse cuisine and the especially the fresh sea food cuisine the country has to offer is also a big plus for Spain which attract foodies from across the globe to its shores.
- The picturesque beaches in Spain are in itself a massive crowd puller and this combined with the easy-going attitude of the Spanish will offer a unique travel experience for tourists.
- The famous Spanish festival of La Tomatina is yet another ace up the countries sleeves that is a must watch for any tourist who visits the country and this year the festival is set to be held in 25th of August
- The tropical climate of the country is like a warm hug for many who comes from comparatively colder countries and this itself has made Spain a popular getaway for many to bask in the sun.
3. Italy: The third country that makes up the list is Italy and with over 58.3 million visitors in 2017 alone, Italy makes a strong case to be a contender among the top countries to visit in Europe and let’s take a quick look at some points that makes Italy a special travel destination.
- Home to the Colosseum and the Leaning Tower of Pisa, Italy has got architectural gems spread across the length and breadth of the country.
- There are various remains of the old roman empire that can be found in Italy which acts as a window to the past for travelers who are interested in history.
- Again, for foodies, there is a lot to experiment in Italy including the world-renowned pizzas from Naples to various beverages and other mouth-watering local delicacies.
- One destination that any tourist that visits Italy shouldn’t miss is Venice which is a sight to behold and an experience to cherish for the rest of your lives.
- The rolling hills of Tuscany is also a natural wonder that will surely leave an impression in the minds of its viewers.
4. United Kingdom: UK still continues to attract a lot of international travelers and apart from being one of the most developed countries in the world, there are certain other aspects that make UK a great travel destination for travelers and some of them are provided below.
- UK has played a major role in shaping not only the history of Europe but also the world in general and there are still plenty of architectures in the UK which sheds light on its rich history.
- Also, for tourists that have an interest in history, there are still various other places for you to visit in the UK including the Stonehenge and the Canterbury Cathedral.
- The country sides in the UK are a perfect location for one to leave the tensions of their busy lives behind to come and indulge in various leisurely activities.
- The fairytale feeling that some towns in the UK offers especially in the winter seasons is also hard to experience in other places.
- The opportunity to visit the city of London also adds to the charm of opting to visit the UK.
5. Turkey: This country that spreads across the European and Asian continent holds some unique aspects that will entice any traveler and let’s look at some of the reasons that makes Turkey a contender for the top tourist destinations in Europe.
- The city of Istanbul is in itself a modern-day tourist hub with millions flocking into the city every year.
- Turkey has had a rich history dating back to the times of the Byzantine and Ottoman empires which makes it an even more historically relevant tourist destination.
- Turkey is a melting pot of culture with people from across the globe present in the country which makes traveling to the country even more special.
- The diverse culture of the country also makes it a prime destination to roam around and absorb the rich culture that Turkey has to offer.
- Also, for travelers interested in history, the Greek city of Ephesus and the Cappadocia rock valleys are also a must-see.
Europe has so much to offer on multiple levels and to standout from so many top nations you need to have something special and these above-mentioned countries are the cream of the crop when it comes to how much they can offer to tourists and how they are able to leave a lasting impression in the minds and hearts of the travelers.
Read More :
Ideal Places to Visit During Pleasant Winters
Darjeeling: Holding the old-world charm of the past